
Like all women of all ages I have of course read all the Twilight books. I actually became interested in reading them because there were several women from church talking about it and saying how they thought some of it was inappropriate and they couldn't believe it had been written by a Mormon. Of course, this peaked my curiosity! So I had to see for myself. I didn't think they were inappropriate (just like I don't think Harry Potter is "evil") but I did have my issues with them. Please stop reading if your a Twilight Fan and you still want to be my friend! No just kidding. Here's my top 5 biggest gripes.
1. So many typos. Holy cow...Stephanie needs a new editor!
2. I got really sick of the same description of how utterly beautiful Edward was. Okay - we get it already!
3. The hundred or so pages of Bella's moping in New Moon should have been enough to turn off the most avid fans but somehow it wasn't.
4. I felt bad for Jacob. I would still classify myself as "team Edward" if I didn't think that was a wee bit silly!
5. Also, The imprinting thing with Jacob was a little strange.
6. It's a little creepy how possessive Edward is. All that watching her sleep and following her everywhere....hmmmmm.....Oh wait that's 6 of my top gripes!
Then a few days ago I found the Midnight Sun rough draft on the internet. For anyone who's unfamiliar with that this is like a companion novel that Stephanie Meyer was writing that tells the story from Edwards perspective. Then somehow it gotten stolen from her computer or from one of the copies she was letting some close friends read and now it's all over the internet. Meyer has put a draft copy of her approved copy on her website that she's allowing people to read. It's not the complete story yet and maybe she'll never finish it because she's pretty upset over the copyright infringement. Anyway, I read the 264 pages that were on her site and I have to say that I like the story a lot better now. Seeing things from Edwards perspective is pretty interesting and fills in a lot of the holes of the original novel. Here are the top 5 reasons I liked Midnight Sun.
1. It's just a rough draft so typos are certainly acceptable.
2. Edward never describes himself as "magnificent," "gorgeous," or having a "chiseled chest."
3. It makes the possessiveness/protectiveness not seem so creepy because you understand how much he loves her and just wants to take care of her.
4. There's more character development because you can read what all the characters are thinking through Edwards mind reading.
5. You learn some more details about the Cullens and the story that goes on when Bella's not around.
Anyway, thanks for reading my rantings. If you want to read the draft of Midnight Sun go to the link below.
www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partial_draft4.pdf
3 comments:
I totally agree with the typos!! But I usually find a ton in most novels I read!
I LOVED Midnight Sun. I really hope she finishes it. I really liked knowing what everyone was thinking too.
I am finally reading Breaking Dawn!! I've been getting them from the library so it's taken me forever to get them.
After watching the movie I skimmed through the first one again and then read 2 and 3 and liked those so much better. I had to laugh at your "chiseled chest" comment, because that's exactly how I was thinking...enough already with how beautiful he is! Reading 2 and 3 I started liking them more and I really liked the movie! Did you? I'm not sure how I feel about the 4th book...too many strange things so far. I just read about the imprinting part and closed the book annoyed and said "What!". I thought I would not finish these, remember our email about how stupid they were? I like them now....I just think they're a little strange and people are a little too crazy over them. My sis-in-law's friend who is a grown woman with older kids has a big poster of Edward in her room. So funny!
Post a Comment