header picture

header picture

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Double Dribble



Today is a good day. I am currently basking in the essence of Supermom. I honestly think I could do anything I tried to do right now.  Hike Mt. Everest....no problem! Solve world hunger....piece of cake!  Count all the stars in the sky....all I need is time, and it'll be done!  Why all the euphoria? Well...I have just accomplished (I think) the one twin milestone that has almost caused me to have panic attacks for the past 3 years, 4 months, 1 week and six days. Let me explain. I found out I was having twin boys on May 3, 2006. From that moment on I was dreading this moment. What moment you ask? Potty Training...YIKES...two boys completely unable to control their bodily functions running around in tighty whiteys wreaking havoc on my new carpet and/or furniture. We began our training 9 days ago. I don't believe in pull-ups (they're just diapers in disguise) so we went straight to big boy underwear.
The first few days we managed to urinate on most of your favorite Disney characters (Buzz Lightyear, Lightning McQueen, Nemo, and Mr. Incredible) and Spiderman and all of his friends. I do mean ALL of his friends. No one can escape the wrath of D & G. The Nascar circuit was fine though because they never got chosen. Their day will come. So with the help of sticker charts and Transformers (a symbol of their transformations from babies to big boys) that sat on top of the fridge until the sticker chart was clear full we have managed to mostly control at least #1. We are still working on #2 but I won't go into any details.



This whole process hasn't been easy. In fact, it's been downright frustrating at moments and very hectic at other times -- like when they both decide they need to go at the same time. I've been very grateful for bedtime too, theirs and mine. And yesterday I even ran away for a few hours. I told Tyson I was leaving but I promised to come back eventually and I also promised not to spend all of his money. I went shopping at every store in town (which isn't saying much!) and didn't spend a cent. But still I got a much needed break!

I had a roommate in college who would say "Expect the worst and you'll usually be pleasantly surprised." Well...today I am pleasantly surprised and certainly relieved (I'll bet their relieved too...pun intended!) Now I can go on to worrying about the next twin milestone that scares me....putting them both in Kindergarten. Do you put them in together or do you separate them? Questions that most moms never even have to consider. Most moms also don't lose half their kids to the school system on the same day and go home to a completely empty, quiet house. I'll worry about that when the day comes, but for now I'll just enjoy my SuperMomness. I know it won't last...probably by this afternoon I will yell at someone for spilling their juice and my essence of Supermom will dissipate like a puff of smoke.

By the way, one of the perks of being a twin mom is getting pictures of precious moments like this one!

8 comments:

Amateur Steph said...

Congrats Amber. I know potty training can be hard. I can only imagine the fun you've had with two at once! :)

The Combs said...

That was great! Thanks for making me smile! And Congratulations too Drake and Garrett and to their SuperMOM!

Joe and Liz said...

Oh my goodness...that last picture is hilarious! Way to go boys. I can't believe how big they are now. I remember you strolling them around at our library storytimes. That's quite an accomplishment!! I had to laugh at you leaving your house and shopping all over town. Did that last about 10 minutes in little old Price? Just kidding. :)

Jenny said...

Amber, I have felt your pain!! My girls were almost four before I got them potty trained. It was horrible. They peed at the same time, pooped at the same time...I couldn't get them on the toilet fast enough before the other one was peeing on the floor. Poor kids, if each one only wet 3 or 4 times (which is completely normal) it was 6 to 8 times for me. I had had enough be then. Man how I am sure I have scarred them!

I have to laugh at the last picture because my girls do the same thing STILL. I have numerous pictures like that. They will sit on there forever talking while going on the potty! I guess when you have to go, you have to go!! Those few sweet moments have made the madness melt away until next time!

I am so excited for you!!! That is awesome! What an accomplishment!! You deserve to bask in your super-momness!! Potty training is HARD work!!

Good idea to get out!! Good for you!!

The Jackson's said...

Congrats on completing the task! I am getting ready to potty train my little girl and am scared to death...ok, maybe not death! Anyway, I LOVE the pics!!!

Amber Chappell said...

Liz, Just so you know we now have a new Bealls store in town. Similar to a Kohl's only smaller. But it does make a shopping trip to all the stores in town last for at least 20 minutes, as long as you go before 7:00 because the whole town shuts down at that time.

Moores said...

Congratulations! I can't imagine having to potty train two at once. You are super mom!

Joe and Liz said...

Yeah I had forgotten it shuts down that early...then all the high school students hang out in the McDonald's parking lot. Do they still do that?? :)