header picture

header picture

Monday, August 10, 2009

Count Your Many Blessings

Today I'm grateful....grateful for something I've never actually thought about before. I'm grateful that I'm much further up on the food chain than a mouse. Last Friday we took the kids to the critter feeding time at the Dino Museum. Every Friday at 4:00 they feed the alligator, turtle and two lizards. It was quite fascinating though I did feel sad for the poor little mice. Especially after watching them trying desperately to get away. One of them climbed up the wall and hid behind a rock. Another one just swam around and around the tank as fast as he could...but alas...it wasn't fast enough.

This is the alligator at the Museum. He's just a baby right now but could be 16 feet long when fully grown.


This is the first mouse who met his doom.


They also have a soft shell turtle. I've never actually seen him do anything except sit on the bottom of the tank. But when they put his mouse in the water he stalked it. The poor mouse was swimming for dear life.


Then they pulled the nearly drowned rat out of the water....giving him false hope.


This is one of the lizards they have now. This guy could grow to be 10 feet long. The kids were laughing hysterically when he got his mouse because he flipped it back and forth until it was dead.


So no matter how bad life gets just count your many blessings and don't forget to consider your own spot on the food chain!

2 comments:

Mikey and Mindy said...

Amber this is Mindy from Memphis! I noticed your blog on the Theobald's list. The mouse thing is really morbid. I'm trying to get into the blog thing, kind-of fun to see what's up with people we know. Our blog is: mikeyandmindy.blogspot.com

Fun to see your kiddos! Still have not caught up to you guys in numbers.

Sarah (and a few others) said...

I volunteered at the Lichterman nature center when I was a kid and had to feed mice to the snakes and owl. It always made me sad.