header picture

header picture

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Kids Gettin' Down and Dirty Too!

Because I was a participant in the adult mud run the kids got to participate in the Kids Mud Run for free. They even got a swag bag with awesome t-shirts, steel water bottles and other goodies. They ran the first mile or so of the same track as the adults minus the Slip N Slide of Doom.

And their off! Drake literally fell down on his third step, but he jumped right up and kept on running. The problem was that, for the first time in the recorded history of mankind, he didn't have any old, worn out sneakers to use in the race, so he ran in sandals. I figured if he lost a shoe it would be better to lose a sandal that won't fit by next summer than to lose one of his new school shoes.

And of course, Drake did lose his shoe in one of the water traps. He did stop and spend a couple of minutes trying to find it. I saw that he was struggling, so I went and jumped in the water and told him to keep running while I looked for his shoe. I really thought it was a lost cause because the mud was about a foot deep under there and I wasn't quite sure where the shoe had come off. Fortunately it only took a couple of minutes and I actually found the shoe! So I chased him down and made him put it back on. He did run quite a ways with only one shoe though....and ended up taking 4th place despite his set backs! What a fighter!

Zac is a really good runner. I hope he'll want to do track in High School because I think he would really excel. He ended up getting 3rd place (out of probably 40 kids.) The top 5 or 6 kids finished the race way in front of anyone else too. I think Zac really enjoyed getting to play in the mud without getting in trouble....for once!



Lexi had begged me to let her do the full course with the adults but I thought the kids run would be enough for her. Sure enough, she had fun doing the kids run but was glad she didn't go for the full 3 mile adult run. She does make running in the mud look pretty glamorous though!




Garrett did really awesome too. He kept going clear to the end and never quit even though there were lots of hard parts to the race. I think he's decided he prefers playing soccer to running in the mud though!



After the Mud Run there was a Tug of War contest as a fund raiser for a little girl in town who has a very rare eye disease. The boys all participated with Zac's friend Jackson (the boy in the middle in the blue shirt) and two other boys.  They called their team The Mud Pits and ended up winning the kids Tug of War contest! They each got a $5 food voucher to use at the vendors at the County Fair later that day. Drake and Garrett both bought Snowies as big as their heads and Zac got a huge funnel cake. It was the perfect ending to a perfect morning!


No comments: