header picture

header picture

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Gettin' Down and Dirty!

Yesterday at the Carbon County Fair I participated in the Down and Dirty Mud Run/Obstacle course. It was a 5K (3.1 miles) run though really thick mud, sprinklers, water traps, over/under obstacles, the slip and slide of pure torture, and a half mile slog in the canal going against the current. It was really fun and really challenging at the same time (it probably says something that I took a two hour nap afterwards!) My friend Sally Sanchez and I ran it together. Initially it was supposed to be a group from our Boxing class but ended up being just the two of us. We got shirts that had boxing gloves on them and said "We Fight Dirty!" I got 37th and she got 38th out of over 200 participants, including a big group who got ahead of us because they went the wrong way and missed a large chunk of the track. Tyson took tons of amazing pictures for us, of course!

I really enjoyed the whole course except for this awful Slip n Slide. It was more of a bruise-your-butt-cut-your-hand-get-a-blood-blister-almost-get-creamed-out-by-the-guy-behind-you-worry-about-if-you-have-a-hole-in-the-seat-of-your-pants-like-the-other-runners-do kind of slip n slide!







The dash to the finish in the big water pit.....which happens to have a huge hole right at the end. None of the spectators bothered to warn you about it either because they were having too much fun watching people go down! I gave them a pretty good show!


And I finished the race! My very first official 5K is in the books. I finished in 55:35 which is terrible if I was just running, but not too bad considering all the mud and obstacles (and the fact that I did a whopping 2 outside training runs! Running outside is much harder for me than the treadmill!)  It was lots of fun and I can't wait to do it again next year!

No comments: