header picture

header picture

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Happy Hogwarts Day!

On September 1st we had our 3rd Annual Harry Potter party. It's our own made of celebration based on a Harry Potter theme...more or less a back to school party since Sept. 1st is the day the Hogwarts Express always leaves to take the students back to school for the year. The kids get very excited for this day(the kids?!!...who am I kidding, I get very excited for this!) Throughout the year they are always giving me ideas of what we can do for our next Harry Potter party.

Two things from last year were back by popular demand. 1) The potion (Clam Chowder) served in a cauldron (bread bowl) for dinner and 2) The Magic Divination Drinks where the color of your drink determines your fortune for the next year. The kids are all very curious about how I make each of their drinks a different color, but I'll never tell! Zac keeps hoping he'll get black (meaning a Dark future awaits), but of course, no one ever gets black.



Then we played a game similar to the Headbanz game where the person has to figure out who or what they are based on the answers to their questions.  After this game Tyson took the kids outside to play Avada Kedavra while I set up the next portion of our activities.  What is Avada Kedavra?  It's just dodge ball except when you get hit you say Avada Kedavra and die very dramatically.  Avada Kedavra being the killing curse, of course. Yes, I do just take normal games and give them a magical twist.  It really doesn't take much to impress this crowd!
After playing the games we all came back inside and made a stop at the Three Broomsticks to enjoy a delicious butter beer.  (Cream Soda with butterscotch ice cream topping and cool whip on top)  Even Tyson and I had to try some.  It's pretty rich but has a nice flavor.  I found these cute little glass mugs at the thrift store for the kids.  They thought that was really cool.



Then we made a stop at Honeyduke's sweet shop to select some snacks to eat while we watched one of the Harry Potter movies.  Another successful attempt at making memories completed!  Now I've got to come up with some fresh ideas for next year!

No comments: