header picture

header picture

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Soccer Season

Well soccer season is in full swing. I usually try to convince the kids they don't want to play soccer because I'm a total wimp when the weather is freezing and the season still hasn't ended! But this year I decided to stop being so darn selfish and let them play (I can always sit in the car with the heater on, right?!) And I'm glad I let them win this time because they are such good little athletes and it has been so fun to watch them play! So far they've had one practice and two games.  I'm glad they've included practices this year.  In the past they've just played a lot of games but didn't do any practices.  At least this way they will actually learn the rules and some fundamentals.

 Last night Tyson was able to come and take pictures. And, oh boy, did he ever take pictures! He has a new extender for one of his fancy lenses that he's been wanting to practice with, so he took 660 pictures! That is NOT a typo....he really did take 660 pictures. He did manage to delete just over a hundred though so we only have 550 left! At last nights games the boys did so awesome. Drake and Garrett each scored a goal and Zac scored three of the five goals for his team. And even though nobody is supposed to keep score, we all do and we won both games!

Garrett is such an athlete but he makes time to stop and smile at the camera!
Drake made a very impressive goal this game.  He went right down the line without going out of bounds and then kicked it into the net.  Awesome control for a barely 6 year old!


Drake was not too happy in this picture because he'd just hit heads with another player.  Oh, the perils of soccer!  At least this year the teams are really small, only 4 players per team.  That way they all get to play the whole time and there aren't 20 kids on the field kicking each other.   The only problem is that means we make up half the team so we can't miss any games (usually I miss the  coldest one at the end of the season.  I tell ya, I'm a wimp!)
After I had already signed the boys up for soccer, Zac told me he didn't want to play.  He was afraid he'd just have to be goalie all the time.  During the first practice though his coach showed them how the goalie gets to drop kick the ball and he thought that was awesome, especially since he can really kick it far.  Now he's totally into soccer and loving every minute of it.  His coach is really fun and encouraging....in a really sarcastic, almost mean way.  It appeals to the kids though and makes them laugh and want to try harder.

This is Zac running back down the field after scoring one of his goals. 

So for now, while the weather is great, we are loving soccer!  You may have noticed that there's been no mention of Lexi in this post.  That's because she has chosen to do volleyball instead of soccer.  You can't really do both since the days and times overlap for half the season, and because I don't want her to be that busy. So she will start V-ball next week and then I will blog about her.  Also, Volleyball is all indoors so I promise I won't complain about it as much!

No comments: