header picture

header picture

Friday, September 25, 2009

7 Days of Creation

I know that God created the world during his 7 days of creation but since I'm only human this is what I created during my 7 days. I actually kind of liked the wallpaper in the twins room and hadn't really planned on doing anything with that room for awhile. But Garrett being Garrett he started pulling off large chunks of wallpaper at night when he was supposed to be sleeping. So last Friday I'd had enough and just started ripping into it.

First the before pictures:


DAY 1: Removed wallpaper. Not the easiest I've ever taken off but certainly not as difficult as the stuff that was on my living room and dining room walls.

DAY 2: Sanded off the crazy texturing that was on the walls above the chair rail. Seriously it was like they shot straight sand onto the wall, or maybe even glass chips or something. The walls were so rough you could actually cut yourself if you weren't careful. Luckily I have a fun little electric sander. I realized that I use my sander more than my rice cooker. Maybe my priorities are out of whack!

DAY 3: Rested. After all it was the Sabbath...and I was already getting sick of this project!

DAY 4: Painted the red part of the wall. That's Flying Flag red and the closest I could come to Spiderman red. I even asked the two teenage boys at the paint counter at the hardware store. They agreed it was the right color.

DAY 5: Painted one more coat of Red and the white. Taped things off so I could paint trim but then didn't feel like painting the trim.

DAY 6: About to give up and forget it. But instead I painted the closet. I hate painting closets. I'm too short to reach the high spots so I end up putting myself in precarious situations. I briefly wondered who was going to call 911 when I fell and broke my neck. Lexi and Zac were at school and Drake and Garret were too busy watching Toy Story to worry about me!

DAY 7: Painting the Rippling River blue trim. 3 coats. Then had to do touch ups for hours! Finally put the room back together. Then I hired my Blind Man "Tyson" to hang the blinds. I have to say his job was the hardest part of the whole room. No really he told me that I have to say that, so I did. Really I'm not sure I agree. But I said it anyway.

Now for the AFTER pictures:


That big blank wall is going to have Spiderman posters in frames on it soon.

One of these days they will have closet doors but that's a project for another day.

And now my sweet little boys can dream of being Spiderman when they grow up. Maybe they can even take turns and then live a more normal life on their Off days. No...if their current selves are any indication then taking turns might be too much of a challenge.

10 comments:

Joe and Liz said...

I love it Amber...great job! I can't wait to have rooms to paint!!!

Lorene Briscoe said...

Amber that is really nice, good job it looks great and I bet your boys love it.

Jenny said...

Looks great Amber!! Their room is so big! I bet you guys are so loving all that wonderful space!!

Jessie said...

Amber, you can stalk my blog anytime. :) I have thouroughly enjoyed reading through your blog. I think I even got back to December 2008!! Your kids are adorable, and you're doing a fantastic job of redecorating your house. So fun!

Unknown said...

You did a GREAT job! It looks wonderful! I wish we could be as motivated as you!

Unknown said...

Here's your next project! Check this out - it seems right up your alley!!

http://suttongrace.blogspot.com/2009/06/repurposed-entertainment-center.html

Amateur Steph said...

What a cute boys room. I'm impressed with your painting skills.

Sarah (and a few others) said...

You have done so many cool things to your house! Love the spiderman room. Closet door? why bother- they'll just get left open anyway. I might even take Sam's off.

Brittany said...

Amber it looks soooo cute! I love it. You are so creative.

S.C. said...

Your spiderman room turned out well. You are really starting to motivate me to paint something in our home.
Hugs, Susan