header picture

header picture

Monday, July 1, 2013

Heaton Basketball Camp 2013

Last week I took the kids down to Orderville to brave the Heaton Basketball Camp. But this year it wasn't scary at all! There were only half as many people (about 35) so it was downright quiet and almost even peaceful! I had only intended to put Lexi and Zac in the camp. I took them on the first morning of camp and about half an hour later my mom came to tell me that I should take Drake and Garrett up to camp as well. Grandpa Burke is the one who pays for the whole shindig and he thought they should give it a try. I was a little worried they wouldn't be able to make it. They have to get up each morning at 6:30 (after staying up later than they're used to each night) and do three hours of basketball. They do dribbling drills for about an hour and a half each day and it can get a little tedious. The first day I went up to check on them and found Garrett doing snow angels (minus the snow) on the court while everyone around him was dribbling. After that, I decided I should sit up there and watch each day because Garrett does a lot better when he knows I'm watching! It worked....no more snow angels all week!

 

 In the afternoons we played games on the lawn, did craft projects (fabric frisbees that you trace a picture on and then color with fabric markers), rented the pool for an evening of swimming, and played more basketball. Lexi helped make treats and mix up lemonade for all the hungry masses. We also went up to my Grandma Elaine's house each day.  She had a major health scare and is still recovering so my dad was with her most of the time, so we went up to visit them several times. The kids favorite thing to do though is go to "Egypt" which is a where the creek goes under the highway so there's lots of shade and a "beach" and the "Nile" river to wade in. I didn't get any pictures of Egypt this year though. I took my mom's camera one day and took pictures for her but then I never made it back there with my camera to get pictures of my own. Maybe my mom will share with me? Mom?....Mom? 


One of the girls I went to school with clear from Kindergarten through High School has recently opened a snow cone shack in town, so one day I took the kids down to get a yummy treat. Then we went over to the elementary school and cooled off a bit and played.
We also went to another clinic held by Damarre Carroll of the Utah Jazz. When I heard that we were having a Jazz player come to camp I was hoping it would be one we hadn't met before, but, oh well! And this final picture is most of the people we had at camp, but not all of them. In fact, I didn't notice until later that my own child, Garrett, was not in the picture! Maybe he was off doing snow angels (minus the snow) somewhere where I wouldn't see him!
We had a great time with family but we were also glad to get back home to our dad! Maybe someday he'll be brave enough to come with us?!!

No comments: