I just saw an article on MSNBC and thought it was funny. I know I have lots of Memphis friends who read my blog so don't be offended or anything....I just hope this doesn't make you Miserable! Anyway, Memphis ranked 2nd most Miserable City in America! I wonder if it will be like the sign I saw at Jack's Barbeque one time that read, "Memphis is the 2nd Fattest city in the nation....and we won't stop until we're #1!"
When we lived in Memphis I compiled a list of all the fabulous things about the city. I was thinking of making a scrapbook page for my Memphis scrapbook which is the reason I started writing all this stuff down.
1) Number 1 in the nation for shoplifting. - 2007
2) Most Jealous City -- April 2008
3) Most STD's
4) Highest Violent Crime rate - 2006
5) Highest Infant Mortality rate - 2005
6) Top 20 rat infested cities - 2007
7) Second worst Asthma city - 2005
8) Worst city for pedestrian accidents - March 2006 (I think you could add "worst for running into poles. I swear every day someone runs their car into a telephone pole. It's amazing!)
9) Economic Development program is "the most under-funded in the nation." - 2007
10) City whose name is mentioned in more songs than any other (869) 2008 (Like that U2 song that says "a shot rang out in the Memphis Sky" and another one called "walking in Memphis")
Maybe people are Miserable in Memphis because they had an asthma attack while running from police through a rat infested alley full of prostitutes with STD's after shoplifting a CD with a song about Memphis on it?
I must say I don't miss living in Memphis but I absolutely miss a ton of people out there! I'm glad we're able to stay in touch through email and blogs. So I will be praying for all of your happiness! Don't Worry - Be Happy!
5 comments:
You made me laugh out loud!!!!! Ahhh the memories!!!! I also just miss the people.
This is hilarious...I loved your list!! Ha Ha! Memphis sure has a lot of things going for it!!
Nice.
Oh Amber, I have not laughed so much in a long time!! I'll be the first to ad mit that Memphis IS such a wretched place to live, and I grew up there! I loved your running from the police scenario. I'm so glad to be in Huntsville now. It feels like a paradise. Although I do miss things like the zoo, and the children's museum, and all the cool craft fairs, and ALL my friends and family (sniff).
We live outside of Memphis now...crime is alot better up here! And by the way, I emailed you the other day, I had a question about some pictures. has your email changed or have you just not gotten around to it (which is fine) just wanted to check! Thanks
Post a Comment