header picture

header picture

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Our Civic Duty


I got something in the mail yesterday that said that during the primary elections only 11% of the people in my county even voted. I think that is absolutely pathetic. It's kind of scary to think that 1 out of every 10 people is the one making the important decisions about our country. That one person could be a total Whackadoo! (a word borrowed from my friend Angela. I challenge you to use it in a sentence at least once today!)

On the same subject of politics I was thinking the other day about the symbols they use of the donkey and the elephant. I was wondering why in the world of all the mascots to choose did they settle on these. So I did a little research. It turns out that the Democrat donkey originated with Andrew Jackson's campaign. His opponents tried to label him as a "Jackass" for his populist beliefs and slogan "Let the people rule." Jackson thought that was funny so started putting donkeys on his campaign posters. Later a cartoonist named Thomas Nast started using the donkey in his cartoons and it just sort of stuck. Thomas Nast was also responsible for the Republicans Elephant. The rest of the story about the elephant though becomes far too complicated to explain in a blog. I think if I was picking a symbol I'd pick something fierce like a dragon or something.

Anyway, don't forget to vote!



4 comments:

Brianne said...

I know it's important to vote, but I just can't get excited about either of these fools that is running for president! I'm sure I will get out and vote though...if only to vote on our states ballot questions. Obama will win Massachusetts easily, so it doesn't matter too much who I vote to become president.

And I am one of those people that voted in the primaries!

Unknown said...

I'm going to vote, but I don't see the answer on your poll who I'm going to vote for. ;o) Actually, I'm still undecided and I didn't see that as an option.

Amber Chappell said...

So the reason I didn't put an "undecided" answer on my voting poll is because it's time to just make a decision! :) The election's not too far away you know. If you need any suggestions I'd be more than happy to tell you who to vote for. But I guess that's not how it works, huh.

Richelle said...

Of course I'm going to vote. It is my duty, right, and privilage. I too am not thrilled with our presidential canidates this go around but am voting for McCain for his health care plan, tax plan, and because the house & senate are controled by the democratic party. I can no longer vote for moral isues since they take a very similar stand. Check out both webpages for their proposals. (We had Obama in Butte, MT 4 times this last year including July 4 & his daughters birthday). I feel our country is just comming full circle in the pride cycle. I LOVE politics. Remember.. it is just as important to vote for your local & state leaders. That is where we are really affected. (Heated topic)