header picture

header picture

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Field Trips Galore!

Monday we will be starting our last week of school for the year, which means we are well into Field Trip season! I think word has gotten around that I'm willing to sub on field trips because I have gone on 7 so far! Some of those were even with my own kids classes. Last week I subbed for one of the 5th grade teachers on the field trip to the Bees game, which meant I got to go with Zac's class as well. We went up to Salt Lake to watch the baseball game. It was a beautiful day, probably the only dry day of the whole week! The Bees lost by 1 but it was still a fun game.


I also got to go on the science field trip with the 7th graders, this one as a parent chaperone rather than a substitute teacher though. We went up to Lehi to the Discovery Science Center. The kids got to run a flight simulator which really felt like they were on a space mission and they had to avoid collisions with comets and avoid disputes with alien lifeforms. It was basically a team building exercise with some fun space fantasy to make it interesting. Lexi got to be the co-pilot with her friend Mikey. They did a great job! I got to sit in the "control tower" where I could watch everything they were doing and see the behind the scenes stuff. It was a pretty elaborate set-up. The second picture is of Lexi having lunch with her friends Braxton, Mikey and Landon after their space mission.

I also got to take Zac to his Middle School Orientation activity. He will be starting 6th grade as a Mont Harmon Pirate next year. We went on a "treasure hunt" around the school to find all the important locations like the cafeteria, the gym, the shop, the library, etc.


Last Thursday I went with Zac's class once again on a field trip to the Wave Pool.  The reason I have gone on so many of Zac's field trips is because I was assigned a long term (3 week) substituting position as an aide for an autistic boy who is in 5th grade. This means I go with him whenever they leave the school and I'm at the school when they are there so I can help him when he needs me. You may have noticed that Zac is always with his buddy Jackson Smith. Those two are inseparable these days! It was pretty darn cold at the wave pool and it started to rain so they went in to the indoor pool which was a lot better.
As luck would have it, I also got to go on Drake and Garrett's field trip to the Wavepool  because 2nd and 3rd grade went together and I was subbing one of the 3rd grade classes that afternoon. It had stopped raining by then so they had them swim in the outdoor pool. It was still pretty cold though, so I pulled them out to go have a snack and get a little warmed up indoors! They had a fun time and didn't seem to mind the cold weather.




Unfortunately the Friday field trips to Buckhorn Wash (Zac) and Fresh Market (Drake and Garrett) had to be canceled because of the rain. But we are very glad for all the rain so it was okay....and it didn't kill them to have to actually be in school for one day during the week! Next week we are looking forward to having Field Day, a Park Day and the Talent Show. Busy Busy!

No comments: