header picture

header picture

Monday, April 6, 2015

Fossil Rock

This past weekend was our Spring Break. We had Thursday-Monday off of school so we decided to make a trip down to Orderville to see my parents. Poor Tyson had to be all responsible and stay home and work since his Spring Break doesn't coincide with ours. My parents house literally sits at the base of a big mountain that I used to love to climb and explore as a kid. On Friday I decided to take the kids up and show them all the cool sites. One of my favorite spots was a little area my siblings and I dubbed Fossil Rock. There are several big rocks that are completely encrusted in fossils from when the area used to be all under Lake Bonneville which, according to Google, was formed 32,000 years ago and dried up about 14,500 years ago. I remember as a kid being able to see full fish skeletons but I couldn't find any of those this time.  But there are still a lot of fossil parts from fish, clams, mollusks etc. The kids thought it was really awesome and had fun gathering up a few of the loose fossils that had already chipped away from the rocks. I wouldn't let them chip off any that were still embedded though.








We also took a few pictures with the cute little town of Orderville (population ~600) back behind us.  It was a fun place to grow up and is still lots of fun to go back and visit!

When we got back to Grandma's house the kids used old toothbrushes to clean up their fossil discoveries so they could bring them home to show dad (even at the risk of having him launch into a discussion on evolution! That's what they said, not me!) It was a nice day for a hike,exploring nature, and being amateur archaeologists.

Memorable Moment: I just wanted to show what I did a few days before this for April Fools I don't really get into April Fools jokes because I think they tend to be kind of mean. But I did get a little crazy with a pack of googly eyes this year!

1 comment:

Lauren Webster said...

I love the googly eyes... I am totally remembering that for next year! My fave april fools is doing mixed up foods- like pie for dinner (chicken & veggies inside) and burritos for dessert (cinnamon apple filling).