header picture

header picture

Monday, April 27, 2015

Drake, Drake and more Drake

This blog post is entirely dedicated to talking about Drake. Drake is such a quiet, good, easy going kid that sometimes he doesn't seem to get his turn in the spotlight. So I sat down with him yesterday and we brainstormed some things he likes to do and what he wants people in the world to know about him. Drake really loves to read. I never have to tell him to do his Read Before Bed reading because I know he's already done it. He has a series he especially likes (Dragon Masters) about a boy named Drake who trains a dragon. He also loves to read the Big Nate Books and Diary of a Wimpy Kid books.

Drake loves to build with anything that is available, mainly Legos, K'nex, or even making towers/roller coasters out of toilet paper tubes. He can spend hours in his room just playing by himself. He says he wants to be an Engineer when he grows up, and I think he definitely has the aptitude for it.
Drake is learning to play the piano. He takes it very seriously and often practices without being asked (it probably helps that he gets a piece of candy after he's done!)

He also loves to play on his Ipad Mini. His favorite game is called Clash of Clans, but he also likes Fifa 15, Minecraft, Boom Beach, Ice Age Village, and Angry Birds.

Drakes loves facts. He is always saying "Did you know...." followed up by some amazing detail. This is why he loves to read National Geographic Kids. He will read his magazine over and over until it literally falls apart!
Recently Drake was named Student of the Month for the quality of Leadership. His teacher says he is a very quiet leader who can motivate his classmates without being pushy or bossy.  His friends look up to him and really value his opinion. His best friends these days are Logan Anderson, Mason Engar, Brexton Simkins, and Tommy Ferderber.
Drake is also excellent at helping around the house. He will often just see that something needs to be done and he will just do it. Just to name a few recent examples, he has pulled weeds out in the yard, taken out the trash, and, just this morning, he picked up the family room without being asked before he went to school. I always know that if I assign him a chore he will be meticulous about it and won't have to go back and fix it because he went too fast or didn't do a good enough job. In fact, I have to be careful not to overwork the poor kid because I know he will do a great job if I ask him to do something!
Drake is also the Rollerblade master! He can just zip around so fast on those things and very seldom ever falls down. And he is always very sweet to encourage others who are trying to be good at it too (ahem...mom!) Also, please notice that Drake loves to wear long sleeved shirts. He would literally wear them all year round except that his sneaky mom has learned that she has to hide them sometime during the middle of May!

Drake loves Cub Scouts! He is in the Wolf Den and looks forward to it every week. He recently made this cool birdhouse with his den and is excited to hang it up in our cherry tree. This week he will compete in his first Pinewood Derby and he's really looking forward to that too.

What more can I say?! Drake is just an awesome kid and he really makes his mom and dad proud! We love you Drake Xavier!

No comments: