header picture

header picture

Friday, March 27, 2015

Junior Achievement City

Today I had the opportunity to go as a substitute teacher with Zac on his 5th grade field trip to Junior Achievement City in Salt Lake City. It is on the top floor of the Children's Museum and is only accessible to 5th grade school groups. They have 20 businesses and it is incredibly realistic. Real brick buildings, real computers, telephones, working gas meters and nice furniture. It was really amazing and I'm glad he got to have that experience! They have been training for this day for the past few months in school. They had to do things like elect a mayor, interview for jobs, learn how to write checks and deposit slips, fill out a loan application, and basically learn how an economy works. Zac was hired as the CFO (Chief Financial Officer) for the University of Phoenix. His job was to print payroll checks, input checks (people paid for their education) and deposit them in the bank, pay bills, etc. He really took his job very seriously. In fact, I went to get him to have him come buy a JA city t-shirt and he said, "I can't mom. I'm working!"

Yes, I was that embarrassing mom who took her big huge camera instead of just taking crappy cellphone pictures, but I'm glad that I did.  I sat in the back with all the boys because all the other teachers get carsick (or so they say!) I took a cute picture of Zac with his buddies Jordan, Jackson, and DJ.

When they arrived at JA City they all got into one really huge elevator and rode to the 4th floor. After getting off the elevator they cross a bridge which they are told is symbolic of changing from being an ordinary 5th grader into a responsible adult.

Then they have a little orientation meeting and head off to their businesses to get to work. I was put in charge of helping 5 kids run First Security Bank and, boy was it hectic! We had to process loan applications, cash all the employees checks, open savings accounts, pay bills, deposit income for businesses and help customers in filling out their deposit slips and balance their checkbooks.

Zac had his own real computer to input data on, a nice comfy office chair, and a printer for printing checks and deposit slips. He also had to sign checks and buy supplies for his business at Best Buy. 


He also had to deliver invoices and deposit slips to the bank and speak with people from other businesses.


Zac came and got me during his first break and we went and ate our lunch at the Maverick where you could use your JA City cash to buy real drinks and candy to go with your lunch.

There were a total of 63 students and over 20 parent volunteers! It was quite the endeavor but was definitely worth it. I think Zac had a really great time, and I managed to get all of Mrs. Johnson's class back home safely! Whew! I'd call that a successful day!

No comments: