header picture

header picture

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Timber Time

When we bought our house one of the things we (read Tyson) hated was this huge pine tree that was right in front of the house. In fact, when we first looked at the house you couldn't even walk on the sidewalk to get to the front door because the tree was in the way.

So literally 2 days after we bought the house, Tyson decided it needed a good trim.

So for the past two years the tree has looked like this. Not too horrible but definitely not an asset. Also, it blocked the light coming into our living room and we had no view. Tyson continued to cuss the tree on a regular basis (read daily.)

Finally his tree hatred reached its boiling point so we invited Tyson's Dad (and his chainsaw) up for a little visit.

But first Zac had to climb the tree one more time for old times sake. I'd feel bad about cutting down his climbing tree except for the fact that we have about about 20 other trees on our property he can climb.

I was a little nervous our lumbermen would fall the tree in the wrong location (we have had less successful attempts in the past and I tend to not forget these things!) Luckily though, or rather, because of great skill, the tree landed exactly where they intended it too. Yay!

After the tree was down Garrett came running out of the house and said, "Hey dad, you have got to come see this! There's light in the living room!" Mission accomplished!

Tyson's dad also brought his wood chipper so we chipped up the branches to use for mulch in our flower gardens. I raked up all the brown bark chips and put about 3 inches deep of our trees wood chips underneath. While I was working on this project Garrett came up to me and said, "When you get through ruining your flower gardens will you come help me with something." I guess it's all a matter of perspective!


And this is what the house looks like without the tree. I still need to move the rest of my ferns (they'll die in complete sun) and figure out how to landscape that spot, but I love not having the tree there. And Tyson hasn't cussed since Thursday....at least not about the tree!

2 comments:

The Jackson's said...

I LOVE the new look and also the new look of your flower garden! GOOD JOB!!

Emily said...

Wow...what a job! Good work, you guys!! Your place looks fabulous!!