Today was the 50th Anniversary of our local Prehistoric Museum so we'd thought we'd go check it out. I expected to be there for about a half hour. Two hours later we finally decided we were ready to go! The kids were having so much fun and wanted to do every single activity.
But first we had to go to the library and pick up the 3rd Erec Rex book because Lexi was just "GOING TO DIE" if she had to wait for it all weekend! I totally understand that feeling!
First we used pipe cleaners and tried to make some prehistoric bugs....tried being the key word here. I made a butterfly that Tyson then declared was a beautiful flower!
Then we colored dinosaur pictures. I was SO proud of Garrett. He never spends more than a few seconds coloring (and then he just scribbles to get it over with!) and he was so focused and did such a great job. I was really starting to worry that he had no fine motor skills but he's great when he actually cares!
This guy "Mr. Bones" came all the way from Denver so he could walk around in his dinosaur costume. The kids thought he was cool.
Then he sneaked up behind me and about gave me a heart attack!
This was Zac's favorite activity. They did Indian rock art on these sand covered pieces of cardboard. Zac actually came home and did even more designs.
Then we practiced grinding corn. Makes me really appreciate all our modern conveniences!
The weather was fantastic.....until it wasn't anymore! So we decided to go inside to check on the water monitor who's tail got amputated about a month ago.
Once inside we found even more things to do. Drake spent at least 15 minutes making a Indian pot mobile.
While the kids were designing their pots Tyson and I talked to this guy, Joe Venus. He's the person who painted the big mural in the museum. It took him 6 years to finish! We bought some of his cool coloring books. They have tons of information about prehistoric life that I'm excited to read about.
It was a great Saturday morning activity. I love all the fun community activities we have here!
No comments:
Post a Comment