header picture

header picture

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Making Marshmallows

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, "I refuse to let my kids brains go soggy during the summer!" So I spent some time on one of my favorite websites EDUCATION.COM and I have a huge list of fun activities to try with my kids this summer. Seriously, people this website is awesome! When my kids write their What I did last summer essays I want them to be able to say "I made marshmallows, learned how to create salt crystals, learned a cool math game using playing cards, and put on my own magic show!"

For our first activity we made MARSHMALLOWS. Who knew you could make your own marshmallows! Not only were we making a yummy treat but the kids were learning some basic chemistry concepts as well. These were actually very easy and tasted just like store bought marshmallows only much fresher. Sure we could have easily just bought a bag of marshmallows but my kids are going to be talking about this one for a long time!





I think that our next activity will be a treasure hunt using a secret code! Yay, bring on summer!

Side Note:  Notice all my boys are wearing at least two different shirts in the pictures. (Garrett has three different shirts!) The marshmallows have to set for 4 hours before you cut them and we had a little incident with a mud puddle during that time!  Looks like I'm doing a lot of laundry this summer too!

2 comments:

Emily said...

You are a fun n' wonderful mom!

Your kids are lucky to have you!

Happy Summer!!

Moores said...

You are such a good Mom! Way to go! I will have to check out the site!