
Every year my mom's side of the family (the Heatons) have a week long fun fest/reunion in my hometown. My mom's house transforms from a peaceful empty nest into basketball camp headquarters for about 65 relatives. There are trailers all along the front of the house and tents all over the lawn. The aunts take over the kitchen and make tons of food, and so many desserts you can't decide what to choose so you take one of everything. There are kids in matching red Heaton Basketball Camp shirts playing Legos, tea party, Barbies, card games, writing graffiti all along the front wall with sidewalk chalk, breaking pinatas, eating popsicles, ice cream, and watermelon, performing in talent shows, playing night games until way past bedtime, not to mention the pretend fart noises coming from the tents until far into the morning hours. There are only 2 bathrooms to go around so there's a que for potty breaks and hot showers are a miracle (don't worry, we all shower a few times during the week but only the lucky ones get the hot water!) We also rented out the swimming pool for a few hours one night and went to the sprinkler park in Kanab.



Oh, I almost forgot....we also play basketball. Lots and lots of basketball. My Grandpa Burke and Grandma Carolyn pay for any of the kids who want to participate to attend the basketball camp put on by the best basketball coach in the state (in my somewhat biased opinion), who also happens to be my grandpa's first cousin, Ferrel Heaton. Zac and Lexi were old enough to participate so they went from 7-10 a.m. each morning for the entire week to work on their basketball skills. They did awesome and never once talked about quitting even though it was really hard and they were very tired! The high school age kids attend camp for 6 hours a day. I don't know how they have that kind of energy!


They also had a 20 minute basketball camp for the Tiny Tots. Drake and Garrett were so excited! They practiced dribbling and passing and chased their runaway basketballs. It was really cute!


This is my Grandma Carolyn. (I don't think I've ever seen her sit down so I had to take a picture) She's the mother of 14 kids, grandmother to 85 (and still counting), she also has 30 something great grandkids. I am the 4th oldest of all the grandkids so I have lots of cousins that are my kids ages and I have aunts and uncles that are only 2 or three years older than me.

This is my Grandpa Burke. He's the master mind behind this whole business but he tends to sleep while the women handle all the particulars. We really appreciate Grandma and Grandpa for paying for all this and helping us all have a great time and reconnect with all the family.

And thanks to my mom and dad for hosting this fabulous event. I'm sure your peach tree will live...won't it? Not sure about the trampled on pepper plants though, they're probably not going to make it.
No comments:
Post a Comment