
Tonight we had Family Book Club. (It's my way of brainwashing my children into thinking that books are totally awesome!) As a family we read the book No Talking by Andrew Clements. It is a really fun book. You really can't go wrong with Andrew Clements. Awhile ago we did the book Frindle by Clements for Family Book Club and that was great too. Anyway, we asked questions about the book (Three year olds aren't too young to talk about stereotypes are they?)
Then we played Charades.
Here's Zac being a cat. He actually licked his hand and washed his face with his paw.

Lexi being a teacher.

We also took an idea from the book and wrote a story where each person contributes 3 words and then someone else continues the story with 3 more words. This is our fantastic story....I'm thinking of trying to get it published.
The President sat
on a cactus
in the desert
in polka-dot undies.
He yelled out,
"My bum hurts!"
He jumped in
the chocolate river.
He saw a
shark biting people.
Meanwhile, aliens attacked
with giant tulips
and stole the
Presidents Polka-dot undies.
The President called
the police in
New Jersey. They
belittled his predicament
and said "Sorry
We're dancing in
a fiery volcano.
They were stuck.
Back at the
ranch we hear
Yodellay hey hoo
and the President
found his way
home on a
big red firetruck.
The very end.
Then of course we had dessert. The only food mentioned in the book is Macaroni and Cheese so we took some liberties with that and made cheesecake instead.

Now we're going to start reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I needed a great excuse for a little chocolate fondue!
4 comments:
What a great idea to do family book club. Do you think Britta is too young for us to start? Actually Josh and I on occasion read a book together and that's been fun. We read Fahrenheit 451 together a couple months ago. I had always wanted to read it, but wasn't too impressed (am I allowed to say that about a classic?). :)
That's a great idea. So how do you do it? Do you just read it outloud or have the kids read on their own. I love your fun ideas!!
I love your three-word story!! And I'm totally going to have to start a family book club... awesome idea.
Yes Kristina I agree that you can trash talk classics. I personally hate Earnest Hemingway. Okay, not him personally....just the stuff he writes.
And I think you can do book clubs any way you'd like to. You should definitely be reading to Britta already, but maybe she's not quite ready to play charades and eat chocolate fondue with you yet.
Post a Comment