header picture

header picture

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Early Mothers Day

With Mother's Day coming up I've been thinking about gifts. Specifically the kind my husband could lavish upon me. He knows I don't want a vase full of roses that will just die in a week (or in my case a few days). The last time he gave me roses was 7 1/2 years ago. Not that I've been keeping track or anything. I'm not really into diamond jewelry, though a few years ago he gave me a sapphire and diamond ring that I wear all the time. Sometimes the gifts he gives me are super practical, like the police strength pepper spray he gave me when we were living in Memphis and our neighbor had just been robbed at gunpoint in front of our apartment. I still carry that in my purse so don't even think about trying to steal my sapphire ring! Or there was the BBQ grill he bought for my birthday shortly after we suffered through 4 days of July heat in Memphis without electricity (the straight line wind storm of 2003) and all our meat in the freezer thawed out and we had to hit the neighbors up for a BBQ so it wouldn't all go to waste. We've had that grill for seven years, and though it's been used often (by Tyson), I've never turned it on even once. The gift that really does just keep on giving.

This year Tyson gave me an early Mother's Day gift. Part of the gift was romantic and part purely practical. The 9 rose bushes and three Weigela flowering shrubs that he begged me not to kill are the romantic part. (I'm not much of a "green thumb" though I do try.) I will have gorgeous roses all summer for the rest of forever. Oh, and here's the purely practical part....he also gave me 4 bags of poop. Yup, poop. Steer manure to be precise. And if that's not practical, I don't know what is! Sometimes I forget that Tyson's truly still a farm boy at heart, but then he goes and does something like this and I remember!

I'm very happy with the results of my new flower beds. I know they don't look like much yet but in a year or two they will look awesome!






I guess now I should probably stop keeping track of how long its been since Tyson gave me roses. Not that I'm admitting that I was actually counting. No, I probably wasn't.

2 comments:

Joe and Liz said...

Awesome gift...I loved hearing about the grill and pepper spray too. Ah Memphis...don't ya just miss it!!
Abby wants to say "I can't believe he gave you 4 bags of poop" :)

Tyson said...

Awesome flowers! You've done a great job! But you should have mentioned a little more as to why YOU haven't ever used the grill, but that SOMEONE very special has used it to cook with A LOT! I just don't want people to think that we buy nice things that don't get used....like the grill....who again, SOMEONE has used A LOT to grill on so that a special lady DIDN'T have to use it. (hint hint hint hint hint hint) :) "I'm just sayin" hee hee

T-Dogg