header picture

header picture

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Night



Yeah for Barack Obama....er....I mean President elect Barack Obama! I have to say there has been a bit of excitement going on at our house the past 24 hours. Tyson, my darling little democrat, was ecstatic to the point of tears....okay maybe not tears, but he was pretty excited. We have been following the election for the entire 21 months that it has been dragging on. I'm the one who first fell in love with politics, mostly dating back to the late ninety's when I was studying a lot of Constitutional Law as part of my bachelors degree. Then in 2000 I wasn't able to vote because I didn't register soon enough and Tyson voted for Bush (and has cursed him ever since.) We watched the crazy recount drama from a Cruise ship somewhere south of Mexico. Then in 2004 we went and voted together, Tyson for Kerry and I for Bush, thus canceling out each others votes! Then finally this go around I was able to find a Democrat that I'm hopeful about and Tyson has finally realized that "Democrat" is not a dirty word and it's okay if he admits that he leans that way! Sadly though, our votes don't really count so much here in Utah which is considered the most Republican state there is. But we still tried. I have to admit that this election cycle was much more harmonious in our household than it was in 2004 (unless Tyson's brother Shay came to visit...boy those two can really duke it out....in a mostly considerate, respectful way! Only a few slammed doors and zero hang ups.)

This is a picture of us having our election party. Can you really call it a party if your the only two in attendance? Either way, we had a lot of fun. Even though by the time we got settled in for our "party" Obama had already won Pennsylvania and Ohio so we knew it was pretty much over anyway. Oh well, I'd rather have a landslide than a nail biter. As I'm sure you can tell Tyson was in charge of getting the Pizza. After all, I would probably consider one large pizza to be adequate for a party consisting of just two people! I think Tyson must have been expected Obama himself to stop by for a slice or two. By the way we are doing sign language O's to show our support.

Also, I hope I haven't offended anyone by my support of the "wrong" candidate!

7 comments:

Amy Coontz said...

I just hope we won't be poorer friends!

Brianne said...

Owen and I had a pizza party on Tuesday night too...Scott had a meeting to go to and missed out on the fun. I didn't vote for Obama, but I'm not upset that he won. I wasn't too excited about anybody running and don't have high hopes for either of them. Maybe I'm too cynical.

Jenny said...

I don't like Obama. He seems too shady for me on a several things, but that is just me. I won't go into it. I only talk politics with my family because I feel like I can actually really say how I feel on issues and I know that they won't get hurt by my babbling...does that make any sense? BUt I love to hear others points of view on politics. It looks like you guys had lots of fun! A night out just you two...I am jealous!! I went to bed at about 9pm!

Brittany said...

I hate Obama, but love you guys!!

Richelle said...

We're glad you picked a red state to live in along with our other democratic family members. PS. Montana was a nail biter but came through with red. I thought that McCain gave a great consession speach in attempts to rally around our new president ellect. Looking on the bright side, Obama's willingness to talk with terrorist may open doors for missionary work to spread through the world as our Prophet requested we pray for.

Tyson said...

After closely examining every debate for the democratic and republican caucuses, the presidential debates, two to three Sunday morning political shows every week for the last 21 months, and finally after much careful, logical, deliberation, and analysis of all the propositions that formed part of each candidate's core values, as well as analyzing the actual demeanor of McCain vs. Obama during those various debates; I am so thoroughly thrilled to see Barack Obama as the president-elect of this great country. In the past elections I personally have been torn between trying to pick the candidate that I thought would cause the least amount of damage to America in the ensuing 4 to 8 years. However, this election I have been very happy overall with the great majority of Obama's ideas. Well, actually my Bush vote in 2000 was a pretty easy decision as well. There is my two cents. Amber and I do truly appreciate all your opinions though and love that so many of you take out time during your busy day to read our blog. It makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside, which we'll need a lot of to get through the frigid winters in Utah :).

Anonymous said...

I am totally cracking up because of your cruise comment because we watched the election in 2004 from a cruise ship somewhere around Mexico...how funn!