header picture

header picture

Friday, August 25, 2017

First Day of School!

Yesterday was the first day of school for the kids and I (Tyson starts back on Monday.)
Lexi started the 10th grade. It was also her 15th birthday and her first volleyball tournament of the season. We went down to Emery County to watch and they won pretty easily in only 3 sets (best out of 5.) Lexi is in all Honors or AP classes and made two audition only Band groups (Jazz and Wind Ensemble) She also has her Animal Science class that she loves. Zac is now in 8th grade and seems excited about his classes. He is taking Gifted and Talented, PE Explorations (they learn outdoorsy stuff like fishing and archery) STEM (Science, Engineering, Technology and Math) and Ceramics for his electives, plus all his core classes. Zac wore his "free" jeans to school today. We bought them on a Buy One Get One Free sale at Aeropostale and I couldn't convince him that you weren't really getting one free but we're actually paying half price for both. Silly kid! Drake and Garrett are in 5th grade. Drake has Mrs. Cox and Garrett has Mrs. Hansen. Mrs. Hansen actually asked Garrett to reach something for her today because he is as tall as her and she didn't want to climb on the chair with her boot on. And yesterday she went up on the roof with me, up a flight of ladder-like stairs (in her boot!) to help me get his soccer ball. (Yes, he did kick his soccer ball on the roof on the first day of school.) I would call that going ABOVE and beyond! Mrs. Cox has had so many great things to say about Drake and she has been very impressed with him. Usually Drake takes a little while to warm up and start participating in class but she told me he has participated a lot already. He must feel comfortable in there. My room is next door and I can hear the class laughing a lot, so I think they're having a good time.






I was incredibly nervous for my first day of full time teaching, but I felt like it went great! My 26 5th graders were well behaved and seemed to enjoy the day. I even had the principal and superintendent standing outside my door for several minutes and my kids were doing such a great job I wasn't even nervous about what they might be observing! Mrs. Cox and Mrs. Hansen have been so amazingly helpful to me. They've done so much copying for me and are helping me create my lesson plans each day. They have helped ease my stress level tremendously! I could not have asked for a better team to work with! I think it's going to be a fantastic year!





No comments: