header picture

header picture

Monday, October 10, 2016

All About Garrett

Ealier this year (or, gosh, was it last year?!) I had the intention of making a blog post about each one of my kids individually. I did really well on the first three that I did but somehow Garrett kept getting pushed off. And then I forgot, and then I remembered...or was possibly reminded. Now it's just getting ridiculous and I feel like a bad mom for letting it take so long. So today is the day for remedying my error and talking all about my sweet 3rd child. Yes, he technically is the third by a mere 6 minutes.
Of course the first thing that needs to be mentioned about Garrett is that he is a Keeper...in more ways than one! This boy lives and breathes for soccer and he is an exceptional Goal Keeper. I am not just being biased since I'm his mom. We actually have people come up to us all the time and talk about how impressed they are with him. Not only is he pretty much a natural but he also spends hours and hours practicing. I've come home from work at times to find Garrett in the goal with 5 or 6 neighborhood kids shooting at him at the same time and he's blocking pretty much everything! He will dive, roll and jump without worrying about how it will feel when he lands. He also has a very powerful and accurate drop kick that makes it clear down the field and he can position it just right for whichever player he is trying to get it to. 
Garrett LOVES to cook! He literally asks me if he can help every time he sees me in the kitchen. He can fix quite a variety of foods by himself with omelets being his specialty. I have no doubt that this boy will be able to survive his college days!

Garrett is a great piano player too. He picks up new songs really easily and doesn't get frustrated by new things. He talks about wanting to play percussion once he gets to the middle school band. I think he would be great at it since he picks up rhythms really easily on the piano. Our middle school band teacher requires two years of piano experience if you want to do percussion so Garrett will definitely be ready by then.
Garrett really enjoys reading all the blog books that I've had printed. Every two years I print out our blog into a nice hardcover book. Garrett reads and re-reads them. He often reminds me of things that happened and finishes the sentence with "I read it in the blog book." I really appreciate that he uses them so much. It makes me feel like they are worth all the time and effort it takes. Please note Garrett's hat. He got this Real Salt Lake hat for his birthday from Grandma Susan and Grandpa Bill and he loves it and wears it any chance he gets! Also, the sweats. Garrett despises jeans! I made him wear them for our family pictures a few weeks ago and he really didn't want to. You would think I had designed some special kind of torture just for him! He would much rather wear sweats or shorts. In fact, I have to ban shorts once it gets too cold and he is not allowed to wear them to school again until May 1st. Yes, we actually have a date for when he is allowed to wear shorts again!
Garrett loves his dog Gryffin and he is very good to him. He walks him just about every day and plays with him quite a lot. I liked this picture I got of them. They both look so handsome. Another thing to note is that Garrett loves his hair "spike." He hates getting haircuts because then his hair won't be long enough to spike it up. He also likes when he can talk dad into putting cool stripes on the sides. I guess it's all part of being a soccer player to have cool hair!


Garrett is a reader. He reads really well and really fast. Right now he is working on The Lightning Thief series by Rick Riordan and really enjoying them. He constantly wants to talk about them but we have to be careful not to talk about it in front of Drake because he hasn't read them and doesn't want it spoiled. 


Garrett also loves to play with Legos. He builds lots of cool things, mostly cars and planes. His room is almost always a minefield of Legos all over the middle of the room. He also does some really fun tricks on the trampoline. This boy is fearless (which is a tiny bit scary for his mom!)


Just a few other fun facts about Garrett: He is very smart. He made it into the PEAK (gifted and talented) program this year even though they didn't take very many 4th graders. He hates wearing socks and often puts them in the pockets of his shorts which drives his mom crazy when she's doing laundry. He does his homework without having to be told and loves to read whichever book we're doing for family book club. Garrett lives for playing with friends. He is happiest when playing soccer with friends. His best friends are Sam, Mason, Brexton, Luke, Cole, Jack, Drake, Matt and Jarod. Yep, when asked who his best friends were he had a big list! He is just a really friendly kid! He starting to become interested in listening to music. I think 21 Pilots is his favorite right now. The other day he was actually tuning me out with his earbuds in like a teenager or something!

Garrett is such a fun kid and we love him so much! We are so glad he's part of our family. He adds so much personality and excitement!

No comments: