header picture

header picture

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

First Day of School!

Ahhhhh....the first day of school. I love the excitement, the nervousness, the new backpacks, pencils and new clothes set out the night before. I even got really enthusiastic and made chicken salad with freshly sliced peaches grown on our own tree for their lunches. True, most days from here on out they will pretty much have sandwiches every day, but not on this, the first day! Today, the first day of school, I am a Pinterest mom! I dropped Lexi off this morning for her first day of high school on her 14th birthday. She wanted me leave her by the gym doors, but when I saw that the drum line was flanking the front doors I made her walk by the festivities and through the front doors instead. I am just that kind of mom I guess! I hope she has such an amazing year! She is doing almost all honors classes and an AP geography course, with Animal Science as an elective. So her classes will challenge her and I don't think she'll be bored. She also made the Carbon High Volleyball team, which practices every day for two hours, and auditioned and made the elite, Jazz Band (playing trumpet.) I'm so excited to see her growth throughout the next year. Zac started his 7th grade year in middle school. He is also still playing band (tenor sax) as his elective. He was accepted into the gifted and talented program but then they moved him because he didn't have enough electives to do it. Maybe, next year. Zac seemed a little nervous this morning, as indicated by the non-stop talking in the back seat as I drove them all to school today. He just needs to work out his first day jitters though and then he will be fine.


Drake and Garrett are starting 4th grade this year. This is the first time I have split them up before and I have been second guessing my decision all morning! I think it will be for the best though. They need to make their own groups of friends and get some time away from each other each day. Also, it will prepare them for middle school in two years. Their past teachers have always been very good not to compare them or treat them only as twins instead of individuals, which I appreciated, but it's time now to try something new. Does it sound like I'm trying to convince myself that it was a good idea? Probably! Garrett has Mrs. Martinez this year. She is a great teacher and really fun. Lots of his friends are in that class, including the ones who tend to make him talk a little too much, but I think Mrs. M can handle it! I hope. Drake has Mrs. Perry. She is a first year teacher who did her student teaching in their third grade class last year so Drake already knows her. I'm sure she will do fantastic. I have heard nothing but good things about her!





While the kids were at school I did my Pinterest mom thing again and made these adorable cookie pencils. They were pretty easy and fast and the kids loved them!




And now I am sitting in the quiet of my home enjoying a cold drink and a few pieces of chocolate! Summer was fun but now we are ready to get back to our schedule and routine. Let the learning begin!

No comments: