header picture

header picture

Friday, September 11, 2015

Harry Potter Day 2016

I know....I know...I'm getting behind on my blog again! I'm just over a week late in blogging about our 6th annual Harry Potter Day back to school party. We had it on Sept. 3rd this year instead of the 1st like we were supposed to but Tuesdays are just too busy around here. I think every family should have their own made up holiday and this is ours. Once again, after many hours of planning,  it was a smashing success! We had our traditional magic potion (clam chowder) in cauldrons (bread bowls, which have to be special ordered because they are not in season yet. The things I do for Harry Potter day!) We had cream soda to drink because it looks like butterbeer. I had meant to make butterbeer but couldn't find all the ingredients. Some parts of our celebration, like the dinner, have become set in stone and it would simply be wrong to break from tradition. I was ridiculously proud of my golden snitches, which were used as a table decoration and later in a game.



After dinner we had a scavenger hunt. They each used their Ipads to take a picture to prove that they had found each item. They had to find the entrance to the Ministry of Magic, Dumbledore, the entrance to the chamber of secrets (I wrote "The chamber of secrets has been opened." on the downstairs bathroom mirror) a quidditch broom, a golden galleon, something to "free" Dobby and the place you would go to travel by floo powder. In the books fireplaces are used to travel by floo powder, but Harry mispronounces Diagon Alley and ends up in Knockturn Alley....which is a pretty sinister place. So when the kids got to our fireplace I had a note saying they had ended up in Knockturn Alley and had to go in the kitchen for their punishment. Each of them got a Death Eater tattoo on their wrist. I thought the tattoos looked pretty amazing and the kids thought that was fun, though they were glad they didn't have to go to school the next day! What would their friends and teachers think of them being Death Eaters?! Instead Grandma Debbie got to see them but she understands that we are our own special kind of crazy!



Then they were sorted into their houses by pulling a pair of socks out of a witches hat. I found an awesome 5 pack of HP socks online at Target. It's sort of funny that all 5 of us can wear the same size socks! Poor Tyson didn't get any because his feet are just too big! The feet, in order, belong to Drake, Zac, Garrett, and then Lexi.


After our scavenger hunt we played Find the Golden Snitch which is just that game where you hide an object and say hot or cold until the searcher finds it. When they found their snitch they got to eat it (it was chocolate) because in Harry's first Quidditch game he catches the snitch in his mouth.


Our last game was Pin the Scar on Harry Potter. Each kid got three chances. They all thought my Harry Potter looked like a dork but I really did try my best!


We were going to make magic wands but there were technical difficulties with my glue gun. So maybe we will do those next year. Our final activity is always a trip to Honey Dukes to get some snacks. This year I had Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, Jelly Slugs, Licorice wands, Acid Pops, Chocolate Frogs, Golden Galleons and Cockroach Clusters. The kids then watched part of the first movie before going to bed, while I cleaned up the mess.....like a muggle! Happy Harry Potter Day to all!




No comments: