Last Tuesday Drake woke up saying he wasn't feeling well. He didn't seem all that sick to me but I didn't want to send him to school and have him throw up all over the place. And I knew he had been exposed to some sick cousins just two days before. So I decided to err on the side of caution and let him stay home. As the morning progressed I decided he wasn't really very sick but was maybe needing, as one of my friends puts it, a "mental health day." Drake has had a little bit of a hard time getting up for school in the mornings lately. I think the excitement of Kindergarten has worn off a bit and the full day schedule is a little stressful for him. One morning when I went to wake him up he said "When is it going to be freakin' Saturday?!!" That seriously made me laugh because I feel like that all the time! So with him being at home, but not being terribly sick, I faced a dilemma. A) Do I take him to school? B)Do I make staying at home super boring so he won't want to do it again? C)Or do I take the opportunity to spend some serious quality time with one of my children? I decided to go with option C (and hope it doesn't backfire on me!) Having my babies be twins made it so that I never got to have just one child at home with me and I feel a little jipped. Plus, it's so hard to make twins feel unique, individual, and special in their own way, so I decided I couldn't miss such a prime opportunity.
We spent the whole morning playing games. We played the card games Garbage and Flip Ten (both of which are math games that go right along with what the Kindergarteners are learning right now.)
We went around the house measuring things with a tape measure. He has been really interested in learning how to use one. So we wrote down the things he measured and he's going to take his page and measuring tape for show and tell tomorrow and teach the other kids how to do it. He wrote down what he measured (without spelling help from me) including, among other things the "peeano," a "pillo," and the "koch" (couch).
I let him play the PopMath app on my Ipad. It's a great app that's similar to flashcards only more fun and interactive.
He got his own full can of Sprite. It's good for upset tummies, right?!
We worked on his homework packet. Drake and Garrett both have more homework than the other kindergarteners because they are so advanced in their reading. So they do a few 1st grade worksheets that go along with the extra book they are assigned to read.
Drake really loves to do puzzles so we started working on one. We didn't get too far though before he told me he'd just like to go take a nap. I guess maybe he was a little sick after all!
I just have to say that I'm really glad I decided to go with Option C and just make the most of some special time with my little boy. I had a wonderful day with him! He is such a smart, handsome, funny little guy and I'm so glad I get to be his momma! And what's the big deal about having perfect attendance anyway?!







1 comment:
I give those to my kids about once a semester.
Post a Comment