header picture

header picture

Friday, March 23, 2012

Grandpa Gerry's Visit

Last Sunday my dad called and said he'd like to come the next day for a short visit.  I was so excited because it's been quite awhile since he's been up to see us.  I decided not to tell the kids and just surprise them when he showed up the next day.  I did have to tease them just a bit though.  I said that there would be a surprise waiting for them when we got home from tumbling.  That technique was insightful actually, since they all started saying what they hoped would be coming - Books (Lexi), Basketball Stand (Zac), Ice cream (Garrett), a Goat (Drake)!  (His friend has goats and I did, at one point, say it started with a G!)

Garrett especially had a good time with grandpa.  Garrett is actually named after Grandpa Gerry.  He is such a tease and kept messing with Grandpa and climbing all over him!  Drake was teasing in his own way too.....but he stands just far enough away that you have to chase him down to catch a hug or kiss! 
 The boys got to spend more time with Grandpa than Lexi did.  She had Volleyball the first night he was here and she was gone until almost bedtime.  The next day though we all went out to dinner at Wingers and had some good time together.
 On Tuesday night we had a belated Family Home Evening activity where we wrote down a bunch of questions and interviewed Grandpa and videoed his responses (it was a suggestion from the March Friend).  I really enjoyed this so much.  Grandpa told some really great stories about his childhood and even sang us some of the songs I remember him singing when I was a little girl - One Day Late Last October, I'm Gonna Go Eat Worms, Gopher Guts, and Little Red Riding Hood.  I was impressed with the questions that the kids came up with.  In fact, I enjoyed this so much that the next morning I made him answer a few more questions for me.  I think this is something we're going to do with all our grandparents, so fair warning to my mom, and Tyson's parents....your next!
 The kids insisted we use the microphone from our Playstation Karaoke game.  Grandpa was a good sport to let everyone shove a microphone at his face while he tried to talk!  After the interview we enjoyed some homemade ice cream.  I tell ya, I am loving my new ice cream machine!
The next day Dad and I just hung out and chatted and had a great time.  We also went and found him a few nice new shirts and he took me to Subway for lunch.  We had a really fun couple of days. One side effect of the visit though.....I think I'm hooked on Diet Mt. Dew now!  Thanks dad for leaving the last few cans in my fridge!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love the questioning the grandparents idea. My grandma just died last week and I wish I had done something like that. As it is, I feel like I didn't really know her, since I was only alive for a short period of her life. I am going to have my kids do that and when the grandparents complain, I will blame you.
PS, I am glad you posted to let people know about your food blog! I wish I had known sooner.