This past week we had the opportunity to go to Zac and Lexi's school for Parent/Teacher conferences and Lexi's PEAK performance. Both kids are doing great in school....academically at least. Apparently, Zac is struggling a bit with keeping the legs of his chair on the floor, staying seated and not talking. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who's ever sat through a family dinner with him. This kid loves to tell funny stories, but he is physically incapable of telling them while seated! But we love him just the same!
Lexi is in the PEAK class at her school. It's a program for the gifted and talented kids. We were able to see first hand what kind of things they have been learning. First they demonstrated their impromptu speaking skills. They were given three possible subjects and five minutes to prepare a three minute speech. Lexi chose to speak on alternative uses for a pencil. She had some good ideas, one of which was filling it with candy so you could suck on it during class and the teacher wouldn't know. Me thinks my child may have been reading too much Harry Potter! Nah....you can never read too much Harry Potter!
The PEAK theme for the year has been Romeo & Juliet. Back in November I posted about their field trip to the set of the college production of the play. We took Lexi and Zac to see the play and they both liked it. I didn't think Zac was understanding much of it, but he sure could repeat back every line of innuendo! Anyway, Lexi's group performed scenes from the play. This is the scene where Lexi is Juliet and her mother, Lady Capulet, is trying to convince her to give Paris a chance.
They also demonstrated some of the swordplay they learned on their field trip. They made these play swords with newspapers and duct tape.
After the Peak performance we went to the book fair. Each of the kids got to pick out 2 books since they got (mostly) good evaluations from their teachers. And of course, I'm not the kind of girl who can leave a book fair empty handed so I bought a book for myself too. I tried to get Zac to want it, but he was determined to have The Strange Case of Origami Yoda and it's sequel, Darth Paper Strikes Back. So I had to buy Zac the ones he wanted and buy, for myself,the one I wanted him to get. Kids can be so darn persistent sometimes! But I'm glad we got him these two books because he has been so excited about them and has really devoured them. He's never been a really reluctant reader but he's truly caught fire with these two books. Origami and Star Wars, his two obsessions, combined...this kid is in heaven!
I am always amazed at how awesome my kids are....I'm one lucky Mama!





No comments:
Post a Comment