header picture

header picture

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Zac's Tonsils

Zac had his tonsils and adenoids removed on Tuesday morning. We're hoping this helps reduce the frequent trips to the doctor and rounds of antibiotics for strep throat. Oh, and hopefully less ear infections, snoring and mouth breathing. In short, I'm thinking he's going to be a totally different child!

He wasn't so sure about wearing a bracelet and later a dress (the gown) but he went along with it anyway.


He was of course super funny coming out of anesthesia. He was talking up a storm, which I didn't expect, about rocket gas (the anesthesia gas) and blowing up the balloon. He was also a little concerned about the fact that they'd taken his undies! He said, "I feel really weird" and I'm thinking he means the anesthesia but then he said "Hey where's my undies!!!" Truth be told, that would make me feel a little weird too.


Here he is having his first popsicle. The one that wouldn't stay down. Since then he has enjoyed many, many popsicles.


I've been very surprised at how well he has been doing. Zac is so funny because he will complain about absolutely everything (when he's hot, thirsty, hungry, bored, tired etc.) but hasn't complained a bit about the pain. I think the hardest part of this whole ordeal will be getting him to stay still long enough to heal.

Thanks a million to my mom and dad for driving all the way up here to help with the other kids while Tyson and I were with Zac all day, and to my sister Anna for letting us hang out at her house while waiting to make sure he wouldn't start bleeding.

4 comments:

Richelle said...

Hope all goes well this week. Reminds me of Garrett almost exactly.

Lorene Briscoe said...

I have had 2 kids had their tonsils out, Becca and Mitzy my oldest daughters. Mitzy had hers out when she was 4 and Becca when she was 8. All was fine until Becca's 2nd scar fell off. She bled so much we had to take her to the hospital to the E.R. I just kept praying all the way there. She threw up what seemed to me was a lot of blood. They stuck an I.V. in her and told me to take her home and have her rest for at least a week. Luckily they did not have to do a blood transfusion. I was scared. Everything was okay in the end.

Jenny said...

We just did this about 4 months ago...it was a rough couple weeks for him and me. I am so glad that it is over.

I hope he stays in good spirits! I love his goofy faces!

Sarah (and a few others) said...

oh, poor kid. My Sister-in-law just had hers out. She's 18, so it was supposed to be a harder recovery, but she was miserable. He's a trooper. It's good ya'll are doing this now, since it would be so much harder later. Richard really should get his out, too, but he won't now after seeing what his sister went through (: