I do have to warn you though. This is the recipe I blame for the blessing of twins in our lives. What? Yep...here's the rest of the story. In America twins occur naturally at a rate of 4 per 1000 births. In Nigeria there is a tribe, the Yorubis, who have a twin rate of 45 per 1000 births. The main staple of their diets just happens to be sweet potatoes. Studies have actually been done that prove the sweet potatoes are responsible for hyper-ovulation. The year that my twins were conceived was the year I discovered this recipe. I ate copious amounts of it at Thanksgiving and then again at Christmas. I literally ate half of the 9X13 pan by myself that Christmas (somebody had to do it...and I had to eat as much as I could because Tyson loves it too and would have eaten it all!). I conceived the twins the week after Christmas. Maybe it's just a coincidence. I don't know. But there is no history of twins in the family. I wasn't overweight, older, on fertility pills, or any of the other factors that usually contribute to twin pregnancies. I honestly don't REALLY believe this is the reason but it's an interesting theory anyway. So with that warning given (I couldn't in good faith not warn you!) you decide if you'd like to take the risk. I think it's worth it!!!
Sweet Potato Casserole
With a mixer or blender mix together and put in 9X13 casserole dish:
3 29 oz. cans sweetened yams
1 C sugar
1/2 can evaporated milk
1 cube margerine, softened
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
Topping - mix together and crumble on top:
1/2 cube margerine, softened
1 C. coconut
1 C. pecans, chopped
1 C. Brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
I didn't have a picture of it so here is a close approximation.

(yes I did Google "pictures of heaven.")
5 comments:
wow...interesting thing about the sweet potatoes. I've never heard that one before!! Thanks for the warning!! :)
The recipe does look delish though and I really don't like sweet potatoes either. At least I didn't see any marshmallows on the top...that's just messed up!!
I love sweet potatoes, actually. Haven't met a dish of them that I didn't like. I actually have a similar recipe my mom makes a lot, except a little less sweet, and the topping didn't include coconut or pecans. I fed it to Dillon and he wasn't sure what to think of it.
Too funny! Picture of heaven. Ha ha ha!
How funny is that! I, too, love sweet potatoes...I guess I'd better be careful how much I consume when trying for baby #4.
Hope you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Twins?!?! officially avoiding sweet potatoes over the holidays.
Post a Comment