In our elementary school it is a pretty big deal to make a cool Valentine's Box each year. I kinda miss the days of the paper bag with pink construction paper hearts taped on it, but then again, making the boxes has become a project that we can work on together. We're building memories, right? I can just hear my little munchkins ten years from now saying "Hey mom, remember how you burned your finger on the glue gun that one time?" Or, "Hey mom, remember how the neighbor's dog kept trying to play with the boxes we were spray painting and probably went home with purple paint on his tail?" Or even, "Hey mom, do you remember how you were going to cut out the letters of our names with your Cricut and then just got lazy and used a Sharpie instead?" Yeah, those were the good times!
This year Drake wanted to make a tank. I had this brilliant idea that we could just cover a box with camouflage duct tape and call it a day. They make duct tape in a gazillion patterns now so it shouldn't be hard, right? Well, Walmart had duct tape in about 40 different styles, including Macaroni and Cheese, but not in camouflage! So we decided to try 82 coats of green spray paint instead and it worked like a charm! Drake even pulled out all the toys in his entire toy box and came up with a few army guys to glue on top.
Garrett really wanted to make a purple minion from Despicable Me 2. So we used one of Tyson's old whey protein containers, painted it purple, and drilled holes through the lid for the pipe cleaner hair. I'm pretty sure Garrett has re-styled his Minion's hair about a dozen times! It doesn't actually look like the one we were copying from Pinterest but it was relatively simple and turned out really cute.
I was proud of Zac for actually doing a box this year. Usually he just can't be bothered, so when he said he wanted a Lego brick I was determined to make it happen. His was probably the easiest one. We hot glued cups to the top and he spray painted the whole thing.
They were all so proud to take their boxes to school today! They came home with them completely full of candy and treats. And now, if it's anything like last year, they will sit on top of their dressers as "decorations" until I secretly throw them out! Happy Valentine's Day everyone!






No comments:
Post a Comment