header picture

header picture

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Rolling! Rolling! Rolling!

A few weeks ago I celebrated my 36th birthday. My family spoiled me rotten with some really fun gifts. Tyson bought me not one, but two, new watches! One is a Fossil brand silver watch and it is really pretty. My last Fossil watch lasted almost 15 years! The other watch is a sport watch that you can use in timing your running/jogging/trudging (?) speed. I have been trying to become a better runner lately. It's slow but I'm coming along a little bit at a time. Tyson also bought me new Corelle dishes. I love them and nobody has complained about not having a clean bowl in the house since I got them!

My in-laws and my parents both sent me money to pick something out on my own. Well, I did pick something out. Something I've been wanting for a long time, years even, but haven't been brave enough to buy. But I finally bit the bullet and ordered myself my very own pair of rollerblades! It's probably not what either set of parents expected me to buy, but I did it anyway. Maybe I just needed to prove to myself that 36 isn't all that old? Maybe it's because I want to be the kind of mom who gets out and actually plays with her kids rather than just watching them play alone? Maybe it's because it's a great way to tone those thigh muscles while having fun at the same time? Whatever the reason, I now have an awesome pair of skates!  The first day I put them on I tried skating just by our house but the two neighbor guys chatting...and staring...and then laughing at me made it difficult to feel confident! So last weekend we all went out to the college track and spent an hour doing laps.  My first couple of laps were a little shaky, but it didn't take long before I was really starting to get the hang of it! Of course, Drake can lap me about 10 times, but he's gotten really good since he got skates for his birthday too. I asked him what the secret to being a good skater was and he said, "Well, you've just got to get out there and practice mom! A lot!" Oh, he's cute!

Once I conquer the rollerblades I want to learn how to ride a Ripstik like Tyson and all the kids! That should be interesting!  And, get this, Tyson saw how much fun I was having on my rollerblades and now he wants a pair! Then I'll get to laugh at him when he falls on his butt trying to get from the sidewalk onto the track.....not that anyone else I know had that experience recently or anything!







No comments: