Last night Lexi and I went to the Mont Harmon Middle School Orientation night. Technically it is a Junior High right now but next year they are switching over to the Middle School model, so it will be grades 6-8 rather than 7-9. The new alignment has been the talk of many of the moms in town for the past few months now. Most of them are upset about it, but I personally don't think it will be a problem. Honestly, I think the biggest problem is the parents reactions and the negative vibe they are putting out to their kids about it, which just ends up making the kids feel nervous. I'm sure the administration will probably have a few kinks to work out in the first year or two, but I'm willing to cut them a little slack. The elementary schools in town are far too crowded and this move will help spread students throughout the different schools more evenly. The orientation last night was a good way to help ease some of the anxieties the kids have about moving up to middle school. The mascot at Mont Harmon is the Pirates so, of course, they had a treasure hunt around the school to help the kids learn how to find the various classrooms, bathrooms, cafeteria. the gym, the library, etc. Lexi's friend Ashlyn Baker tagged along with us because her mom is a teacher there so she had to be at her station and wasn't able to walk around with Ashlyn.
At the very end of the treasure hunt we found Lexi's Happy Place, the Library! So we spent several minutes checking out the selection of books. If anything will make Lexi feel right at home it's knowing that the library has many of her favorite series and a lot of books that she has been wanting to read too. One of her main questions about middle school is if they have a limit on how many books she can check out! She's definitely her mother's daughter!
After the orientation we decided to stop at Wendy's on the way home for a little mom and daughter treat time. Lexi is sure a cool kid (pun intended!) and I'm excited for her to get to experience middle school. She has a lot of confidence, so I'm sure she will do great. She doesn't seem nervous about it and is especially excited about her electives (she'll do band as one of them, so she can keep learning the trumpet.) They also have a class period called AAA where they can either spend time catching up on homework or do other fun activities like dance, karaoke, guitar, calligraphy and many, many others. Ahhh....Baby Girl is growing up!






No comments:
Post a Comment