This is one of my favorite posts of the year. My "inner librarian" looks forward to looking back at all the books I've read throughout the year and recommending my favorites to all of you. So far this year I've read 78 books and still have a few weeks to cram some more in. It's been difficult to narrow it down to a reasonable amount! Hopefully you'll find something new to read and will leave a comment with some recommendations for me too!
FAVORITE FICTION:
1) Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein. This book starts out a little slow and you wonder if you should keep reading, but trust me YOU SHOULD! All the pieces fall together in the end and it turns out to be rather brilliant. It's the story of 2 female pilots during WWII (yes, there actually were female pilots back then, despite the naysaying of my book club!) It's a great story of friendship.
2) The Girl of Fire and Thorns and the sequels, Crown of Embers, and The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson. I used to read a lot of fantasy but have moved into more historical fiction during the past year or so. This is a fantasy series I read this year that I really, really liked though. I could tell you the premise behind it but then you'd think it was too wierd. A girl with a powerful stone in her belly button....what?! Just read it and you'll understand!
3) Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys. Not to be confused with 50 Shades of Grey which is a different book entirely, and not one that will ever make this list! This book Between Shades of Gray tells the heart wrenching story of a Lithuanian family sent to work in labor camps in Siberia during WWII. It talks about a lesser known atrocity of the war. Yes, it's sad. But very good too.
4) Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. This was one of our book club selections this year. When I was reading it I realized I've read very few books about Chinese culture. After reading this book I kept getting drawn to Chinese themed books and read several which I really liked (Girl in Translation, The Bonesetter's Daughter, and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet.) Snow Flower and the Secret fan is like an instant immersion course into the Chinese culture (of 200 years ago) with footbinding and arranged marriages and devalued women. Did this book make me just want to spit? Yes! But it was very interesting.
5) Moon over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. This book is just full of warm fuzzies. It's a Newberry Winner so written for a slightly younger crowd than I would be classified in, but I thought it was well written and fun. I think I'll read this one to my kids soon. It reminded me a lot of other great books like Hattie Big Sky and Penny from Heaven.
6) Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers. Two words - Nun Assassin. Now tell me that doesn't make you want to go read this book! Be warned though, this is a trilogy and the final two books are not out yet.
7) Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I'm including this one because it changed me. It's about a girl who commits suicide and she sends cassette tapes to 13 people explaining what they did that led to her choice. I was literally uncomfortable the entire time I was reading this but I could not put it down! It was like seeing a train wreck and you can't look away. This book really makes you look at your everyday actions in a different light. Even the smallest things can have a negative impact so you really have to be careful what you say and do.
8) The Rent Collector by Cameron Wright. This is a book about a Cambodian family who lives at a trash dump and scavenges to survive. It sounds very depressing but it's actually very inspiring. Sometimes I thought the Rent Collector (the character) had too many amazing nuggets of wisdom for one normal person but once I just decided not to be bothered by it then I wasn't.
9) Chasing Fireflies by Charles Martin. This one is for those of you who love Southern Fiction. It's got mystery, family relationships, foster care kids, and the beginnings of a love story too. I actually listened to this one while painting my bathroom and I literally can not go in there without thinking of this book!
10) Looking for Me by Beth Hoffman. Hoffman's earlier book Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt has made my Favorites list in the past so I decided to read this one too. While I probably like Cee Cee better I thought this one was good too.
FAVORITE NON-FICTION: In looking through the nonfiction I have read this year I realize I should have read more. Last years New Years resolution was to read one nonfiction book a month but I apparently didn't quite stick to that for this year. These four were my favorites and worth the time to read.
1) In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. This is the probably the book that began the True Crime genre. It is so well written that you feel like you are actually there. Which considering it is about a horrific murder of an entire family can be, well....disturbing! You'll be double and triple checking your locks for weeks to come! But despite the subject matter it is not overly graphic. At least not in my opinion. I really think Capote should have won the Pulitzer Prize for this book. Maybe if I'd been born when it was written the Pulitzer committee would have sought my advice on the matter!
2) The Happiness Project and it's sequel Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin. Despite the titles, these books are not books about overcoming depression or even really meant for sad people. They are more about actions you can take to improve and make the most of each day, rather than just going on autopilot. A lot of the ideas are really great like finish a nagging project, read about someone who inspires you, exercise. Others are a little hooey (as Zac would say!) like her obsession with scents!
3) The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. A very interesting look at habits, why we have them, and how to change negative ones or develop positive ones. I find myself referencing this book all the time in random conversations so it must have made an impact.
FAVORITE FAMILY BOOK CLUB:
Here is a list of all the books we read this year for our family book club. Some of them definitely stood out more than others so I've bolded those. Our favorite, by far, was Wonder by R.J. Palacio. It's a fantastic book that every parent should read and discuss with their children.
1) The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg
2) The Hobbit
3) The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom
4) Igraine the Brave (we listened to this as an audiobook)
5) Wonder
6) Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher
7) The Witches
8) A Crooked Kind of Perfect
9) Bud, not Buddy
And that concludes my list for this year! Next year I'm thinking I should probably add more nonfiction and more classics (though I did FINALLY get around to reading Great Expectations which was surprisingly funny!) Happy Reading in 2014!
****For more recommendations see my lists for 2010, 2011 and 2012.
No comments:
Post a Comment