header picture

header picture

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Joys of June

June is flying by and we've been having lots of fun. The kids are really enjoying summer and I am not totally exhausted....yet! Here are some of the highlights from the first 10 days of the month.

We read The Invention of Hugo Cabret for our family book club. The kids really liked it and I would definitely suggest it if you want something good to read your kids. We had a fun book club night to talk about what we learned, and to celebrate finishing an almost 600 page book (granted, about half of the book is in pictures!) We talked about the author, asked questions about the book, and had treats. The book is based around a real French man named Georges Melies who was one of the very first people to ever make films. We were able to find one of his films, A Trip to the Moon, on Youtube. It was made in 1902 and was considered a real feat of cinematography for its day. The kids thought it was really funny and they seem like they have a new appreciation for how far the film industry has come! After we had our treats we watched the movie Hugo, which is based on the book. It was an excellent movie. We all had a great time!

Today the kids found this bird just sitting on the rocks.  It let them gather around it for quite a long time.  I thought surely the bird must have been injured, but eventually it flew away.  The kids thought this was really cool.

We took the kids to their very first 3D movie, Madagascar 3.  It was funny to watch them experience 3D.  Lexi kept jumping and Garrett and Zac kept actually shouting out loud.  I'm not sure how Drake reacted, since he was clear down on the other end with dad. 

Lexi and Zac had their first opportunity to work for someone else and earn a little money.  Our neighbor was gone for two long weekends in a row and needed help keeping her flowers and plants alive.  The kids went and watered everyday and opened and closed the greenhouse so the plants wouldn't freeze (there have still been a few cold nights here).  The neighbor paid them much better than I would have....in fact I'm hoping she'll just hire me next time!


Zac used his money to buy this really awesome Avengers Lego ship.  He was so excited about it that he opened up all the bags of Legos at once instead of following the directions like he should have.  I was worried he wouldn't be able to put it together and would get frustrated.  But apparently I underestimated his abilities!

Lexi used her money to buy a pair of rollerblades.  It's going to take some real practice before she can do them very good, but she'll catch on soon enough.  Tyson is always so good to help the kids and to play with them.

We have also gone to some parks and the kids enjoyed climbing the big trees.  If you are wondering, if you zip up Drake's jacket,  it looks like Frankenstein's monster.  Another article of clothing that has real appeal for little boys, but not for their mothers.  Don't blame me though, I didn't buy it, it was a hand-me-down from a friend.

The summer community free lunch program started last week too and we were able to go a few times.  The kids really love going to free lunch.....really, what's not to love about a free lunch?  I like to go too because there are so many people who go and I can chat with the ladies while the kids eat. 

So far June has been lots of fun!  Next up we have Lexi's volleyball camp and then spending a week at my parents for basketball camp.  Then we move straight into Cub Scout Day Camp and the kids going (without parents) to spend a week with Tyson's parents.  Which means Tyson and I will get some time to ourselves.  So far our only plans are to hike Mt. Timpanogas and have some playtime in the Orem/Provo area.

No comments: