header picture

header picture

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Indian Ruins

While we were visiting my parents last weekend we went on a hike to see some Indian ruins. I remember going there when I was a teenager with my friend DeDe's family. At first we weren't sure we were going to be able to find them, but after a bit of searching we did find them. The kids were such good hikers. We had to hike off down a really steep hill but they made it okay. Garrett did get a pretty good scrape on his leg when we were trying to hike back out though.
I liked this picture of Drake and Garrett with their cousin Jani. She is one cool kid.  Zac can't ever remember her name so he calls her "his favorite girl cousin."  
We managed to get all these kids down the ledge and back up safely, though the adults were pretty worn out by the time we got to the top!
Drake spent a few minutes looking at the Indian Ruins.  I can't believe these ruins are not protected in any way.  I guess maybe it is because they are really quite hard to find and I'm sure not very many people visit them.

But according to the kids, the most exciting thing they found was this crevice that they could climb back into the mountain. 

After we hiked back out my brother Gerry took all the kids on a ride on his four wheeler.  We don't have a four wheeler and the kids had never really been on one.  They thought it was fun but Garrett did refer to Uncle Gerry as "that crazy fourwheeler guy" for the rest of the weekend!

3 comments:

The Jackson's said...

Looks like fun! Where is this?

Amber Chappell said...

You go out to the sand dunes and then take a dirt road for a long ways up on a mountain (Harris mountain?). You have to have 4 wheel drive. I really don't know any other way to explain how to get there. It's kind of one of those places where you have to go with someone who's been there before.

Moores said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun!