header picture

header picture

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Second Annual Back to Hogwarts Day

Last year we started a new family tradition. Since I happen to like to celebrate randomly and I also like Harry Potter, we started a celebration called Back to Hogwarts Day. We celebrate on Sept. 1st since that is the day in the Harry Potter books that the children all board the Hogwarts Express to head back to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It's also the only day of the year that I let my kids call me a Witch so they really look forward to it!

We started off our evening with a little Divination. I told the kids that whatever color their drink turned told their fortune. Yellow for Happiness, Green for Intelligence, Blue for Artistic ability, Red for Ambition, but Black would mean a Dark Future, possibly even seeing a Grim! Each kids drink was a different color.  They thought this was incredible and could not figure out how it was done!  Lexi asked me if it was food coloring but I'll never tell!

I loved Lexi's response when I was teasing her about getting a Dark Fortune!  She is such a drama queen! 

Then we had our dinner.  A lovely magic potion (clam chowder) in our very own cauldrons (bread bowls.) 
Then we played a Who Am I game where I read a description of a character from Harry Potter and they had to tell me who it was.  Lexi is my very own Hermione Granger.  I kept having to say "Anyone besides Miss Granger.....er....I mean Miss Lexi know the answer to this one?"

If they answered the question correctly they got to choose from the jar of Bertie Bott's Every Flavored Beans.  Garrett was trying really hard to find a Booger flavored one.  He is such a funny kid!




Then we played a game called Petrificus Totalis (a.k.a. Freeze Tag.)  The kids really liked this game.  If the mosquitoes hadn't come to feast we could have played all night. 


 Drake and Garrett were particularly good at being petrified!  (And yes Drake is wearing mismatched socks!  I think I need a house elf to come keep my laundry caught up!)

After Petrificus Totalis we played Moaning Myrtle (a.k.a. Blind Man's Bluff) but I didn't get any pictures of that.
To finish things off we had a few dessert items from the Trolley, Pumpkin Pasties and Chocolate Frogs.  Yum!
 
Our second annual Back to Hogwarts Day was a fabulous success.  I'm thinking next year we may have a Triwizard Tournament....better get my witches hat on and come up with a few great ideas!

6 comments:

Sarah (and a few others) said...

Can I come next time?! That sounds awesome!

dedesmith32 said...

Your so awesome! I love this! I think I'm going to have to do it next year!

Amber Chappell said...

Super sweet awesome fantastic blog posts! The best ever!!!! in FACT. Garrett's bum grab is always choice :)

Lauren Webster said...

Love it- your kids must think you are so fun! You would've loved the library in Lehi. They did this huge Harry Potter party that we went to once. They had tons of games and other stuff- in fact, they even had a guy come with real owls! And their big fundraiser every year was a Green Eggs & Ham breakfast.

Mikey and Mindy said...

Cute idea. Glad to see other kids besides mine wear mismatched socks!

Amber Chappell said...

When it comes to socks we just wear whatever we can find (or go dig through the pile of extras that I hide behind my exercise bike!)