
Yesterday was Lexi's Awards program for 1st grade. Tyson and I went along with Grandpa Bill and Grandma Susan. Lexi looked really cute in the new dress that Grandma Susan gave her last week. She got a million awards too, including "Most Knowlegdeable about the Human body." That one was because Tyson has gone into her classroom twice in the last couple months to teach about Anatomy and Lexi has been his faithful assistant. The first time they took in bones and talked about the skeletal system and a little about the brain. The second time Tyson took in his plastic body model and some real organs (sheep brain, elk heart etc.) and talked about organs.

Oh yeah...back to the awards ceremony. They sang some cute songs and most of them they also did in sign language. Lexi has had a deaf boy in her class this year and so they have an interpretor for him that has taught them all a ton of sign language. Shad has spent 2 years in first grade now and there was a really sweet moment during the program when Shad was receiving his awards and being passed on to second grade when all his classmates started clapping in sign language (hands raised above the head and waving both hands back and forth). They were all so excited for him. I hope they are always so accepting of people with disabilities.
Also, I really loved Lexi's teacher this year, Miss Moira. She has just been teaching for 3 years now but she is really amazing. Next year she will be moving on to 2nd grade and I wish Lexi could be in her class again but since we've moved she's now in the other elementary school. I'm glad she's a flexible kid because in her first three years of education she will have switched schools every single year!
So bring on the summer vacation!
2 comments:
She is a little characture you can tell...How fun! And yes she does look adorable in her dress!
Gosh, I remember when she was born...has it really been that long?
Post a Comment