header picture

header picture

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My New Hobbies

This summer seems to be the summer of new hobbies for me...and some old hobbies have been revived. Maybe now that the twins are a little older I just have more time to devote to stuff like this, or maybe having a house with a back patio and backyard are my motivation. Whatever the reason though, I have spent countless hours scrapbooking late in to the night (and then wishing I could sleep in a lot later in the morning!). I'm trying to catch up on at least the first year of Drake and Garrett's lives before their 2nd birthday, which is less than 2 months away and I have a long way to go.

I've also been refinishing some old pieces of furniture. The dresser below was given to us by Tyson's parents and I wanted to make it all cutesie for Lexi's room. She doesn't know it yet but she's getting a bedspread that exact shade of pink for her birthday. She loves having her own room now, after sharing with all 3 brothers for so long. So I want it to be a really girly, fun room. The dresser took so many layers of paint I thought I was going to go crazy though! I'm just glad my father-in-law let me borrow his electric sander. I'm currently working on re-doing a corner desk that I found at the DI. It was pretty dated looking and I want it to match the dresser. I'd actually be working on it right now if it was raining today. Hopefully I'll have pictures of the finished project soon. I hope I haven't inhaled too much toxic lead paint during all this!





Another hobby I've picked up lately is gardening. I have 26 tomatoes on my plants right now! I have picked my first bell pepper and my first summer squash (There are 6 more that are almost ready too) and a whole bunch of radishes (which then we realized we don't really like radishes). I feel pretty proud of myself because up this point in time I've never been able to keep a simple houseplant alive, let alone a whole garden. I know that Tyson was a little concerned when I started this little project because he knows how it is with me. But I'm out to prove that I can do it!



I'm still working up the courage to take a swimming class at CEU. I've never been much of a swimmer but I've always wanted to learn, especially since my husband loves to scuba dive and I want to go too. But I'm not sure I want to put my 30 year old mom body into a swimming suit and hang around with a bunch of 19 year old hotties at the college. I guess some hobbies take more courage than others! I can guarantee that when I do take up swimming you will not be seeing any pics posted on this blog!

Ultimately, my goal is that someday I will be as multi-talented as Kayleen. That woman is amazing! Of course, she's probably picked up several new hobbies too so I'll never be able to catch up!

4 comments:

The Jackson's said...

Hey Amber, thanks for letting me know about your new hobby!! I love seeing what you have been doing. Your kids are so cute.

Amateur Steph said...

Hi Amber and Tyson! So glad to see you in the blog world! What a cute family. And Amber, you must be amazing to handle all those little ones. Seriously. I am impressed.
Our blog is excitedandconfused.blogspot.com

Joe and Liz said...

Hi Amber....I'm so glad you guys have a blog now. You'll have to check mine out too. It's joelizabbyemmy.blogspot.com. So how is good old Price??? I still need to email you with some of the people I know there. Hopefully you've met some cool people. I love that town!!
I really miss you guys here!! :( We had a great time in Utah and I'm bummed we didn't ever make it to the Children's Museum with you guys!! We ended up going a few times still so that was fun. I'm really happy for you guys and I'm so glad you finally have your yard!! I'm so jealous!! He He. I hope you guys are just loving it.
I really miss my exercising buddy! And Abby's going to be signing up for dance class soon and I'm bummed you won't be there!! Hope you're having fun!

Kayleen said...

Oh my goodness. . . you are so sweet! Your dresser looks awesome, and I don't think I could beat how cute you look on that little pink bike in your more recent post. I miss you Amber!